Let us sing.

I have moments I like to call 'forever' moments.
Moments that when they happen you immediately think, "I want to tuck this away in the special keepsake box in my brain and remember it forever."

I often keep those moments to myself... Seems more sacred that way? But, this one needs to be shared.

Last week, I was working on charge nurse 'paperwork' on the ward when a soft song arose. I didn't pay much attention at first... singing is not an uncommon occurrence on our ward. But then I heard another voice, quiet but beautifully clear, join in, harmonizing with the first. I turned to see the mamas in beds 6 and 7, rocking and patting their sweet babies simultaneously; their voices uniting in a lullaby in their local language, Kituba. Each with their gaze fixed on their precious little one. A special moment regardless, but to fully understand this moment... let me tell you a little more about their babies: 

Each 2 months old, though one more than twice the size of the other.
Each with a cleft lip and palate, though one with many other complications as well.
Each in our infant feeding program. Neither promised surgery.
Each admitted for complications related to their cleft lip and palate-- complications keeping them from growing, which is the main goal so they will be strong enough for surgery.

One mama seems peaceful and strong, the other meek and uncertain. Each hopeful. 

With goosebumps, I watched those two mothers... my work could wait... and I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the beauty of that simple, 'forever' moment. They are so tired, working every 2-3 hours around the clock to make sure their babies meet their feeding requirements.Their little ones' tomorrows are uncertain. They have been cast a difficult lot in life. BUT STILL they are singing. I saw the second mom, the younger and more uncertain one, the one with the 7-week-old baby who barely tips the scale at 2kg, watching the other mama as she sang... and as she watched, her voice slowly grew stronger... almost as if she was gaining courage and inspiration from her. Courage to face each day and inspiration to love fully even when tomorrow is not promised. Especially when tomorrow is not promised.

I don't for one second believe it was happenstance that both those babies were admitted the same week, in beds right beside each other. I think there was more to this admission than just treating infection and gaining grams. I think those mamas needed each other, perhaps one more than the other, to be reminded they are not in this alone. I may never know how the story ends for Baby V and Baby C, or their moms, but I am so thankful to have witnessed this moment of their story. Sometimes we just need each other to remind us to sing in the midst of difficulty. 
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust... -Psalm 40:3-4a
These little guys are not Baby V & Baby C, but they have the same cleft lip and palate deformity.


Photo credit: Deb Bell & Michelle Murrey

If you want to learn more about cleft lip and palate, you can read THIS on Operation Smile's website-- a pretty awesome international NGO that focuses on repairing cleft lips and palates for children all over the world. One of the plastic surgeons for Mercy Ships, Dr. Tertius Venter, does a lot of work with Operation Smile, as well!

Comments

  1. Was chatting about the precious little ones (and big ones) of D-ward today. Miss those precious little brown babies! Give them all a snuggle for me...a world away from adult ICU...xxx Nelleke

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts