In memory of my granddad.

My granddad passed away last week. You may not have known him, but you would have really liked him.



Because I am not home to sit on the porch or at the kitchen table & reminisce with family, I sit here in the early morning hours on the top deck of the ship and sift through the memories... creating a scrapbook of sorts in my mind. On the pages of that scrapbook are the things I hope I never forget:


>His jolly little chuckle
>His pervasive calm and steadiness
>His Harrison's sandwich shop runs
>Listening to Carolina games together on the radio 
>"Bum bum bum bum"... his daily humming for no reason other than just because :)
>That he came to ALL of my dance performances
>His worn, clunky shoes
>That time he let me eat waaaaay more cotton candy than my grandmother wanted me to
>Summer trips to Atlantic Beach
>His love for sugar-free pudding and Diet Coke
>His spontaneous naps on his favorite blue recliner
>His short but sweet phone conversations "Hello hello.. things are fine here.. here's grandmother."
>Reading the "funnies" in the paper together; and that he was war buddies with Charles Schulz, author of the 'Peanuts' comic strip (Snoopy & Charlie Brown)!
>His tiny cups of OJ
>Making him set up and teach us all his "old games"-- like croquet, badminton, Trouble, Battleship, Yahtzee, & our favorite: the Red Baron (Snoopy) game
>His seat at the end of the kitchen table during family meals
>His methodical driving style :)
>His support in all my world travels
>Watching old movies (White Christmas!) together
>Writing out step-by-step instructions complete with diagrams for the DVD player we got him
>His daily diet of Jr. Bacon cheeseburgers from Wendy's
>His skill at crossword puzzles and word searches. Always put me to shame!
>The way he patiently, selflessly, & diligently cared for my grandmother

My granddad didn't lead a fancy life. He didn't have the most prominent job or the nicest house or the newest car. He didn't make any groundbreaking discoveries; he wasn't a household name. He didn't have a million friends or dollars. But to him, none of that mattered. To us, it shouldn't matter. My granddad was great because of how he lived out the small things, day-to-day.




THAT is what matters. So, today and everyday, in memory of my granddad and to honor my Lord, I will seek to do small things with great love. Join me?

Comments

  1. Amy, I loved reading this post. I so agree with you. My grandmother passed away in February but it was her birthday two days ago and my whole family spent the day texting back and forth about her.

    Death is shocking and beautiful in making you realize the things that matter in life. That's what I realized about my grandmother (http://shanspain.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/she-was-who-i-want-to-be/). I love the way you phrased it. You know you will see him soon.

    LOTS OF LOVE,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts