Only the beginning: Our arrival in Pointe-Noire

I was told by many Mercy Ships "long-termers" that there is nothing quite like sailing into a port for the start of a field service. Though my experience was muted due to some difficult news I had just received from home (see this blog), I was still incredibly grateful for the privilege to experience that unique time on the m/v Africa Mercy. It was even more extraordinary this go-round in that it was the first time Mercy Ships has been to the Republic of Congo, and to central Africa as a whole. And, the founder of Mercy Ships, Don Stephens, and his wife were waiting at the port to greet us as we sailed in... which is one of the few (if not the first!) times that has happened as well! From quite a ways off, we could spot the red, yellow, and green striped tent (mimicking Congo's flag)... and the closer we got to the port we could hear the upbeat rhythm of Congolese music, singing "Are you ready?!". Are we?? As the view came more into focus, there were nearly a hundred chairs set up under the tents, including a leather recliner right in the middle of the dock that was obviously reserved for a VIP. There were buffet tables complete with a mini bar and trumpeteers to the left and a podium and speaker system to the right. There was the typical sight of the stoic African military security wielding their guns-- and by wielding I do mean in hand and ready to go-- juxtaposed with the Congolese women chattering about in their gorgeous traditional African dresses. There were dozens upon dozens (stacks on stacks on stacks, if you will) of posters plastered everywhere promoting the arrival of Mercy Ships and "operation gratuite". Mingled in with the fishy/salty sea scent I had grown accustomed to, I could smell "Africa" instantly. I hate to generalize like that, but there really is a distinct smell, at least to Central Africa-- ask anyone who has been here. It is an earthy aroma which, if I didn't have such an extensive background in anatomy and physiology, I would swear travels straight from my nostrils to my heart. I will let the photos below tell you the rest.

Our pilot boat guiding us into port! Bienvenue to Africa!

Meet some of our neighbors!

The dock




Hi Don!

Just one of the many talented photographers on the ship-- they say it's all in the camera. I say they're too humble.

Lowering the gangway (the stairs leading up to the main ship doors)


The engineers and deck hands hard at work-- they do not get enough credit for all they do!!

Awaiting the final piece of the gangway!

Note the VIP recliner :)

The Captain's Congolese greeting... The m/v Africa Mercy has arrived!



Comments

Popular Posts