Home sweet (floating) home

[Disclaimer: I wrote this post over a week ago but was having trouble getting all the photos to upload. We are not actually sailing anymore, but arrived in Congo last Friday!]

As the weeks go by, the abnormal-ness of living on a ship is starting to feel more normal. My daily schedule will look much different when the hospital opens and I get pulled from my temporary job in the dining room to my "real" job as a nurse in one of the hospital wards. But for now, as we sail I have started to fall into a rhythm. An off-beat one, perhaps, but a rhythm nonetheless.

Here are some pictures since, unfortunately, most of you won't be able to make it to my house-warming party. Hoping this will give you a glimpse into my daily life here.


Meet the Africa Mercy (AFM). Once a Danish rail ferry called Dronning Ingrid, it is now renovated and repurposed. Born in 1980, its makeover by Mercy Ships was completed in 2007. "Home" to over 400 crew, the ship has been sailing up and down the West coast of Africa and is the world's largest non-governmental hospital ship!

Home sweet home.

Docked in Tenerife (Canary Islands)

My bunk (no bunkmate yet, so I get this palace all to myself!)

My corner/shelf



Closet (it's like a tetris game getting everything to fit in there!)


Our cabin's "hall". The curtains cover the two rooms on the left, and my room is the one straight back.


Our bathroom. Only sharing with 5 other girls and bigger than I expected! There is, however, currently one inch of standard water on our bathroom floor, due to some plumbing issues with the water system (we think). So that's fun.


"Midships" area= a general common area and the cafe's seating
Yes, we have a Starbucks on the ship! Starbucks donates a substantial amount each year to our cafe, and we are immensely grateful. I am going to experience major sticker shock back in the States after being spoiled by $1 chai lattes!

Mercy Ships' Land Rovers taking over Deck 8 during the sail.




With a laundromat, bank, post office, library, academy, ship store, hair salon, weight room, and "boutique" on board, it really is like a small city here!










The above photos are of the 'bridge'-- where all the important stuff happens and where the captain is! (Sitting in his fancy white captain's seat above)


Deck 7-- first "outside" deck. Also home to the hammock village!

The pool on the top deck, currently filled with chairs instead of water. This is my favorite reading and pilates/yoga spot on the ship, though attempting yoga during a sail is pretty hilarious (I have a video for proof if I can ever get it to upload!).



I have yet to take photos of the kitchen and dining room, but I will share those soon! I also need to arrange a tour of the ship's engine room so I can show you all some more of the ship's "inner workings". Still to come are photos of various activities during the 2 week sail (gotta prevent cabin fever somehow) and details on a major lifetime achievement! Stay tuned and stay classy.

Comments

Popular Posts